Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) Course
Law Enforcement Officer’s Safety Act
Retiree Qualification Course – #LEO-002
Course Objectives – upon successful completion, each student will be able to:
- State the Cardinal Rules of Firearms Safety;
- Demonstrate how to safely operate their handgun;
- State the legal ramifications of improper or negligent use of firearms;
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge regarding carrying firearms under Massachusetts law and Federal Law;
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the provisions of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act;
- Demonstrate proficiency with their firearm.
- Review Student Preparation Sheet. For each attendee –
- Must have a valid Retired ID card
- Must have a valid LTC
- Attend all portions of this program;
- Demonstrate basic competency in the safe handling of a firearm;
- Demonstrate basic proficiency with their firearms.
- Upon successful completion the student will be issued a LEOSA Firearms Training & Qualification Card
Pursuant to 515 CMR 6.05 which is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.
- This “card” is 8.5” x 11” – & wallet size.
- This card must be accompanied with official retired ID card and valid Massachusetts License to Carry Firearms.
- Course Approval – 9/18/2008 as #LEO-002 by Colonel of Mass. State Police
PRACTICAL RANGE EXERCISE & QUALIFICATION – 50 to 150 ROUNDS
4 hour class
The firearms proficiency test shall be conducted using the type of firearm to be carried by the qualified retired law enforcement officer upon LEOSA certification. The firearm can be a semi-auto and / or revolver and can be of any caliber .22 and above.
Once course is complete the retired LEO can carry concealed nationwide.